Monday, March 5, 2018

Tis the season for Cold & Coffee : Sukku Kaapi

"Every food is comfort food for me at some point, maybe I just like to chew"
It's been bracingly chilly and the cold seems to have frozen my brains rock solid - I have been lying in the bed listless with a pounding headache... the hacking cough makes my ribs hurt and the sniffling cold is irritating to say the least....and then add in the cold from outside...but then I realize it's just my body that wants to kick back and hibernate for a week, no exercise, no socializing...yet this is the week when the husband has his busy schedule, the boy has his 3 basket ball games and his science fair project over the weekend and work has it's umpteen deliverables and I haven't really eased up on the working out in the gym to be honest. So I drag myself out of bed at 6.00 AM and start getting "the boy's lunch box ready".

I seem to be on auto-pilot as I take out the Sukku Kaapi mix from the bottle and put it into the IP...this was a simple mix that I had made last month to help with this incessant congestion, that has been plaguing  me this year. One sip of my cuppa and I am in a happy place...my  throat feels soothed and I feel ready to take on the world...


What is it you ask me? 

This is a drink that originated in the South - anytime I had a cold/cough, indigestion or even stomach cramps (the monthly kind) - my mother would give me a cup of this elixir. It's made with a simple few kitchen staples and it almost feels like you are drinking a cup of coffee (heavily laced with ginger). Here's how I made my Sukku Kaapi powder (there are more complex versions that you can try but I have found that simplicity brings out tastes that take you back to the past).

You will need: 

  • 1/2 Cup Whole Coriander
  • 4 Cloves
  • 4 pods of Cardamom
  • 2 tbsp Whole Black Pepper
  • 1/2 Cup Dry Ginger Powder
  • Palm Jaggery - to taste ( you can add this later too)
Dry Roast the first 4 ingredients till golden brown. I usually grind in the coffee grinder  with the dry ginger powder and jaggery. This mixture can be stored for anywhere from 2-6 months. I try and use it up quickly because it tastes better when fresh.

How to make Sukku Kaapi?

Add 2 tablespoons of the mixture to your IP with two cups of water. Set on manual for 4 minutes. I usually strain (though there is little residue) and enjoy a cup once a day or whenever you feel like it.

Benefits of Sukku Kaapi
I think I would need two blog posts to cover why Sukku Kaapi is so awesome
  1. Lowers Blood Sugar
  2. Lowers Cholestrol
  3. Eases Digestive discomfort
  4. Decreases Blood Pressure
  5. Helps with Urinary Tract Infections
  6. Treats Cough, Cold and Sore Throat problems
  7. Helps with regulating the menstruation cycle and with reducing the pain from cramps
So how is your Monday Morning turning out?



No comments:

Post a Comment