Friday, February 9, 2018

Ande Ka Funda...


A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg.
                                                                                                  --Samuel Butler

My son detested eggs till age 3 and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why...then I started taking him to the farmer's market and he warmed up to Ron our local poultry farmer and who has been my source of eggs for almost a decade and some years...he expanded Krish's egg horizon from chicken eggs to quail, duck, goose and once even Ostrich...by age 4, he loved eggs and I was a happy mama. Why wouldn't I be - Eggs are an extremely nutritious food - high in protein, vitamin b12, vitamin A, folate, phosphorous, selenium - and yes! eggs got a bad rap for high cholestrol but there are studies which show that eggs do not adversely affect blood cholestrol - this was confirmed by my husband's primary care physician who has written the book - The South Asian Health Solution ( I would highly recommend this book to anyone trying to reduce or control cholestrol, diabetes or just trying to get healthy!)

So Eggs are a staple part of our diet, we don't overdo it but try to add 5-7 cage free organic eggs in a week to our diet. I remember singing the song - Ande ka Funda to my son when he was 5 years old, he would stare at me like I had lost it...I showed him the video (below) of Govinda and Sunjay Dutt in Jodi No.1 singing the song...and he found folks who seemed more crazy than his mumma 😜


My favorite way to eat Eggs are Indian Style Anda Bhurji, I am sure I have that recipe on my blog some place...a cup of adrak chai, a whole wheat English muffin and Anda Bhurji with an interesting chick-lit is honestly my idea of heaven...but I digress...I had to share with you this easy recipe for Anda Curry.

Anda Curry



What you need?
  1. 4 tablespoons Mother Sauce
  2.  1 table spoon Punjabi Garam Masala ( I use Roopak, but go with your favorite brand)
  3. 8 Eggs ( I boiled them in the IP with the potatoes)
  4. 1/2 Lb of boiled, peeled and quartered potatoes 
  5. Ketchup, Cinnamon  (optional but makes a difference in taste)
  6. Salt to taste
  7. Chopped Cilantro to drizzle on later
How to make it?
  1. Boil the Eggs and Potatoes in the IP ( I put it on manual for 4 minutes - people have mentioned 5 minutes, but 5 minutes gave me exploding eggs and mushy potatoes...so you have to see what works for you) - you can do this step in the morning and assemble the curry in the evening  which is what I did 😁
  2. Turn your instant pot to Saute
  3. Add 1 through 4 and mix well ( about 1/2 minute)
  4. Add about 1/2 cup of water
  5. Turn on the pressure on manual 3 minutes, no release
  6. Open and now add Salt, Ketchup and Cinnamon to taste
  7. Add the chopped cilantro
  8. Enjoy with Rotis/Brown Rice/ quinoa.
When I was about my son's age the TV always played this Anda Ad....do you remember it 😂


Would love to hear how this recipe turned out for you....

No comments:

Post a Comment