Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Fighting the Cold Season : Green Soup!

It is health that is the real wealth, not pieces of gold or silver or stones.... 

The gym has been a part of our life for a long time now but I started taking my exercise routine rather seriously 5 years back and even though I exercise a lot I didn't really see the weight slide off till I started paying attention to my diet.


One key thing that I have drilled into my psyche is getting the right amount of vegetables into my body..I got into the habit of eating a  salad and drinking a green smoothie most days...but let me tell you after I  had the flu, a cold salad or a cold smoothie just did not cut it...I was on the phone complaining about this to "my sister from another mother" who is a couple continents away...she suggested this awesome heart and soul warming soup. This will definitely be a keeper in my kitchen.

I love this soup and the best part I can make about 12 servings of the soup.

How to make the green soup?



Ingredients

  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp Avocado Oil ( you can use whatever oil you have on hand or even ghee
  • 2 tablespoons or more Braggs Liquid Amino
  • 2 Cartons Vegetable/Chicken Broth ( I used Vegetable Broth this time around and the brand was Saffron Road)
  • Chopped Vegetables -  1 medium sized Opo Squash ( lauki), 1 medium sized Cauliflower, 1 bunch of parsley, 1 bag of Kale, 1 Onion roughly chopped, 2 roma tomatoes roughly chopped, minced garlic ( I used the Trader Joe's kind)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste


Process

  1. Turn the IP to Saute and add the oil/fat
  2. Add the turmeric powder when the oil is sufficiently hot
  3. Now add the minced garlic and onion - saute till lightly browned
  4. Add the chopped tomatoes and the rest of the vegetables
  5. Add the Broth and the liquid aminos
  6. Set on "Porridge" - No Release
  7. When it's all done use an immersion blender and puree the soup
  8. Add Salt and Pepper to taste
Drink a large glass of this every day. Not only does a glass give you two plus servings of vegetables - it has < 100 calories and 5 grams of fiber. 


Some interesting facts 
  1. Did you know lauki (Opo Squash) helps soothe digestive issues, urinary tract infections, reduces inflammation of the liver and keeps your heart healthy.
  2. Parsley is anti-diabetic and cleanses the system and builds your immune system
  3. I can write rhapsodies about Kale and Cauliflower - 2 things that I have been cooking with for years now ( even before they became a fad)...
  4. Liquid Aminos contain 16 of the 20 Amino Acids and is mostly for exercise recovery or protein supplementation ( highly recommended for vegans or vegetarians) - it is also a flavor enhancer.

So true is the saying that the first foundation of success is Good Health! With my Green Soup I feel like I am taking a step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment