Sunday, December 31, 2017

To a wonderful year ahead...

New Year's Eve. 
Looking to a fresh start. 

A new chapter in life waiting to be written. 

Me and my Instant Pot...

Recipes to be cooked up in my head,

Then tried spontaeneously...
Health to be discovered...
But for today...I am carving a spot by a nook by the TV, 
'coz my Oatmeal is not definitely one grandma made me...
It fills my soul with warmth,
To hear the 11 yr old say...Ma can I have another bowl...
As I usher in 2018!
domino effect or chain reaction is the cumulative effect produced when one event sets off a chain of similar events. The term is best known as a mechanical effect, and is used as an analogy to a falling row of dominoes...our 11 yr got the domino effect started at our place...it started with a harmless cough and then morphed into a particularly virulent flu that he passed on to both parents quite graciously...we are still coughing our intestines out but feel almost human at this point. It was a quiet holiday for us this year and when our son asked for Oatmeal for a New Year's Dinner, I was more than happy to comply.

Not my Grandma's Oatmeal (Oatmeal Kheer)


What you need?

  1. Bob's Redmill Steel Cut Oats - 1 cup
  2. 3 cups of water
  3. Whole Earth Stevia/Sugar sweetener - 4 spoons
  4. Organic Condensed Milk ( use 1% milk if trying to keep it healthy, I was trying to make it a yummy healthy dessert for my son) - to taste - I used 4 tablespoons
  5. Black Currants, Raisins, Cranberries, Almonds
  6. Pinch of Saffron
How to make it?
  1. Add the Oats, Water a pinch of salt, the sugar and all the dry fruits and nuts. Put the Instant Pot on Porridge setting and forget about it.
  2. Once done (don't do a quick release) - stir in the condensed milk to taste and then add a pinch of saffron ( or some powdered cardamom)
  3. Enjoy!
My father had told me something once which I hold close to my heart - he had said don't do nothing just because you can't do everything...everytime I feel like binging on junk food or feel the ankle ache and decide I want to skip my Zumba/BollyX class...I push myself to do  something! Happy New Year...may the year be filled with happiness, hope, health, food and dancing!


No comments:

Post a Comment