Thursday, March 29, 2012

Sick as a dog...and comfort for me is...

I wonder why it has to be "sick as a dog"...not a cat, rat, parrot or a chimpanzee...actually wait a minute, given "J's" close encounters of the parasital kinds in Feb and all the TLC we have given to get that sick ol' guy back on his 4 feet...maybe it kinda sorta makes sense. In this case the "sick as a dog" describes me (and A - my visiting brother). Here's what happened..."B" was down from India...partied much (or that's my version and I stand by it) passed the virus something to A that he oh! so lovingly just had to share with his beloved sister "M" (yes me...the resulting BAM! is still resounding in the back aches, the coughs and the voice lost and the ever-friendly viral fever...not really willing to leave for good)...
Work load hasn't eased up and I really don't expect it to ease up oh! for at least the next 12 months...joys of working on a 1.0 release and all that ( reality is I love it and wouldn't have it anyother way...) but this darn viral flu thingie is pulling me down...I am shuffling like an old hag, haven't cooked till today (don't ask me how we survived Subway, some unappetizing one-pot rice thing I called Khichidi, Panda Express, Trader Joes, Whole Foods and one good meal cooked by A when he was feeling a little better....joys of having a spouse who REALLY can't cook). Anyway, I was ready for a comfort meal today (and it ain't happening in my kitchen without me moving....), so I made something simple in 20 minutes...it may be frowned on by ANDI for the lack of so-called immunity building stuff....BUT I savored every bite of it...so go figure !!!

Here's what I did :
  1. Boiled a pound of white potatoes+ 2 cups of rice in a pressure cooker (if you have a super big PC, great you can do both together at one go) - 5 minutes
  2. Squeeze 2 big Meyer Lemons
  3. Peel the white potatoes and cube
  4. Keep the following things on hand : Raw Peanuts, Curry Leaves (fresh)
  5. For Tadka : Hing, Mustard, Urad Dal
  6. Salt to taste
In the wok (and I used just one) :-

For the potatoes :
  1. Add Oil, about 1 tablespoon (try using a neutal one)
  2. Add hing when the oil is hot and then add the mustard and urad dal. When the tadka is dancing in the wok, then hit it with the curry leaves followed by 1/2 teaspoon of Turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon of Red Chili Powder (reduce it if you have a wimpy spice tolerance level )
  3. Add the potatoes. Cook for 10 minutes  or till potatoes go crispy on the edge like in the picture
  4. Salt to taste
For the Lemon Rice :
  1. Add Oil, about 1 tablespoon (try using a neutal one)
  2. Add hing when the oil is hot and then add the mustard and urad dal. When the tadka is dancing in the wok, then hit it with the curry leaves followed by 1/2 teaspoon of Turmeric and the raw peanuts
  3. When the peanuts are cooked through, add in the lemon juice
  4. Add in the rice
  5. Salt to taste
Dinner was done in 20 minutes....truth be told it exhausted me but my stomach thanks me now. Comfort for me right now is the warmth of my bed on this cold day...a simple yet fulfilling meal...a hug shared with my son....a conversation with loved ones...

Comfort for me...something I keep running back to time and again is this book A had got almost 30 years back in school...which I have kept...it is a "shloka" book. Every time I need to quiet the mind or bring it some comfort, I pick it up and read it and I find comfort...it has along with prayers, this treasury of sayings and I share one with you -
What is defeat? Nothing but education, nothing but the first step to something better...

This blog post goes to Kirthi's Kitchen for her event Serve it - Stir Fried -- an event ideated by Denny who aptly says "We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospection" and to Sravani for her event : Vegan Diet

2 comments: