Sunday, January 9, 2011

Mea Culpa...

Have you ever picked up a movie not expecting much and then getting blown away...with the intent of full disclosure K1 and I have been trying to cut K2's TV time down...however, as I was picking up the organic eggs and yogurt and a chocolate pie my attention was riveted by the redbox vending machine. I went there fully expecting to pick up an action thriller like "Knight and Day" or "Salt" for some mindless entertainment with homemade popcorn...I ended up picking up "How to Train your Dragon". K2 and I have already watched the movie twice in the past 20 hours...the storyline was great...the special effects amazing !!! Mea Culpa! I have already exceeded K2's TV quota for the week...but there was nothing else I would have rather done on a cold blustery Sunday morning, than sit under a warm quilt with a cup of chai, watching the movie with K2.
How has your weekend been thus far? I made my 20 minute Saag Paneer which turned out excellent and a repeat of the whole wheat cheese pizza from the TJ's pizza dough for K2. I went for a 90 minutes Yoga class and my muscles are still complaining...

Here is a recipe for my quick cooking Saag Paneer. Try it and let me know if it worked for you -

Stuff Needed
  • 1 LB Clamshell Organic Spinach
  • 200 grams Paneer (Indian Cheese available in any indian store)
  • 1/4 Carton TJ's Organic Tomato Soup
  • 1 tablespoon Hot Sauce ( I used the really hot hot sauce from "Curry Up Now"...what can I say I hate wasting)
  • 1 small red onion, little knob of ginger and 4 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
  • 1 tsp Garam Masala
(A) In a glass container put the spinach in the microwave for 3 minutes
(B) Cut the Paneer into small cubes, put on a baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt and chaat masala. Sprayed with Canola Oil and broiled in the oven for 5 minutes till golden brown.
(C) Fry the onions, ginger and garlic in minimal oil. You decide how much. I added maybe 1/4 tsp.
(D) Blend the wilted spinach with the tomato soup, hot sauce, garam masala and the fried Onion, Garlic, Ginger.
(E) Add the blended mix to the pan and simmer on low for 5 minutes. Now add in the broiled paneer and simmer for another 5 minutes. Squeeze in the juice of 1/2 a lemon. Add the salt to your taste.

Enjoy the dish with a warm whole wheat naan or some hot brown rice. This dish is rich in protiens (from the paneer), iron (from the spinach) and has high fiber content.

I will now stop flogging myself over "too much TV time" for the young un and focus on enjoying the rest of my Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment