Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Story of the Lost Baby Sea Lion & the Enlightened Dal

Why did they ever invent “Back to School Nights” …Yeah! Yeah! I can hear you muttering tracking social, communication and developmental needs but have you thought of all the jugglery this mom has to do to ensure that she is prepared for this above mentioned “back to school night”… finish Friday early morning calls, work on spreadsheet for a couple hours…realize it is time for lunch and grab a little something to eat…wrap up work, plan dinner, prepare snacks for K2. When K1 and K2 got home rush out with hurried instructions on dinner for the boys…pick up A and in peak traffic make it (almost) in time for the first part of BTS Night…hear the school director talk about all the Do’s and Don’ts – Do get in time, Don’t make kids wear flip flops, Don’t over pack lunches (oops!)…after which we got to meet the teachers. K2’s teacher is a DOLL…she keeps him in line teaching him important life lessons , while making sure he eats all his lunch…I am grateful for that.


Saturday Morning saw the 2Ks and me walking the dog down the bay and we spied a lost little baby sea lion…I tried the Marine Institute to see if they would rescue it, it kept ringing to no response…after which I called 911. I waited around for a while after which I needed to take K2 to the library for a late morning show. He got to watch the Red Panda Acrobats in action. It was amazing watching the talented Wayne Huey go through the act and it is at times like this that I am glad that we have access to so many wonderful activities. A quick lunch of Quesadillas and Cheese Cake and K2 is ready for his nap…

This week I tried an Express Meal and it made me feel so happy and full that I wanted to share the recipe (and the love) with you of this warm comforting dish which literally took me 10 minutes to make (of course in my trusty pressure cooker, if made in a Dutch pot it would probably take about 30 minutes)…interested in buying a pressure cooker, check out Amazon (If you have money to throw around then Kuhn Rikon is the way to go). My pressure cookers are all Indian…ones that I picked out myself and carried back from India (cost me between $20-50 and last a while). Anyway coming back to what I made, I call it the Enlightened Dal...K1...the non vocal critique said this was the best Dal he had ever had

Ingredients

  1. 1 Cup Red Lentils (Masoor Dal) – soaked for a couple hours will make it cook faster
  2. 1 Carton Low Sodium Creamy Organic Tomato Soup ( I used the one from Trader Joes)
  3. 8-12 cloves of Garlic (finely chopped)
  4. 1 Habenaro (finely chopped)
  5. 1 Red Onion (finely chopped)
  6. Spices – Sprinkle of Asafetida (hing), ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
  7. 1 Lemon, Chopped Fresh Cilantro
  • Heat one teaspoon of ghee
  • Add Asafetida, Cumin and Turmeric Powder, when it turns fragrant add in the onion, garlic and habenaro and slowly cook till caramelized (not burnt)
  • Add the Red lentils and mix for a minute or two
  • Add the contents of the soup carton.
  • Pressure Cook for 4 whistles or cook in Dutch Pot till the lentils are cooked through and extremely soft.
  • Add salt to taste, Squeeze lemon, Add Chopped Fresh Cilantro.
I ate this with some piping hot brown rice and a side of curried peas and cabbage.

Did you know that Red Lentils are a great source of protein, folate, iron and vitamin B1. Tomatoes are a source of lycopene, one of the most powerful natural antioxidants. Cilantro fights diabetes and is widely used as a carminative much like Cumin and Turmeric is a powerful antiseptic and antibacterial agent while Hing fights flus and is yet another powerful spice…Did you do anything good for your body this week?

P.S - Pictures of the Baby Seal, Red Lentils Dal and the Red Panda Acrobats

No comments:

Post a Comment