Wednesday, February 24, 2010

To Ma and Bapa with Love : Pan Fried Trout & Grilled Asparagus


It’s been exactly 4 days (105 hours and 35 minutes) since my Ma and Bapa left for India and I really miss them. I miss my mother’s cooking; I miss the smell of Indian Masala in the kitchen, my mother’s solicitous advise on my food habits, K2 playing with his 48 piece puzzles with Bapa and our long walks when the weather permitted…after 4 days of inertia (I mostly got excited with some Market Analysis work that I was doing….so go figure!) I dragged myself out of my stupor and went to pick K2 up from pre-school today. On the way I went to the local Italian grocery store (no it’s not a chain) and picked up some fresh Rainbow Trout and a pound of Asparagus Tips.

Why Rainbow Trout you ask me? Well, my mother has been encouraging us to get on the vegetarian bandwagon…K1 has been non-committal and everything I read about fish and Omega-3 convinced me to make fish a 1-2 time occurrence weekly in our meals. Apparently Fish has DHA and EPA which is different from ALA found in plant based Omega 3. Fatty Fish like Tuna, Mackerel, Trout and Salmon are abundant sources of Omega 3. I picked Asparagus because my father liked it when I grilled it for him. Asparagus (ahem!) also have excellent health benefits…they have a flavanoid called rutin which improves circulation and strengthens veins…Asparagus also binds to the cholesterol in the digestive system, stopping the body from absorbing it...it is also a good source of potassium & folate (I sound like a walking encyclopedia…what can I say I read Realage and WebMD quite extensively)
Here is how I cooked the fish –
  • Whole Rainbow Trout (the fish guy at the store very obligingly made fillets)

  • Marinade – 2 teaspoon Olive Oil, 3 Teaspoon Shaan Tandoori BBQ Mix, Juice of one Lemon

  • Apply Marinade on Fish and let it sit for ½-1 Hr.

  • Shallow Fry in a Pan ( I sprayed the pan with some Olive Oil)

Here is how I cooked the Asparagus –
  • Spread the Asparagus in a single layer in your oven

  • Spray Olive Oil, Apply uniformly Salt, Fresh Ground Pepper and Garlic Powder
Turn the Oven to 375-400 degrees and bake till tender. We ate the Fish with Asparagus and some fresh Asiago Cheese Foccacia.
So Ma and Bapa, this post is to let you know I miss you and wish you were here with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment