Thursday, January 21, 2010

Its raining cats and dogs...


The past couple days have been dreary – unusual storm warnings, hailstorms, pouring rain…that feeling that everything will stay forever wet…yeah yeah! I can see you folks in Europe or even East Coast snigger at me ( a person in Sunny California complaining about the weather).
K2 has caught the much dreaded Strep Throat and obligingly passed it on to me. So both me and K2 are on antibiotics…what’s new – K2 has always been the carrier and me on the receiving end.

On the work side of things, I don’t have it all together yet …but the learnings are amazing and I am gaining a broader perspective on things and stretching myself which is wonderful.

To keep my cold at bay, my mother concocted this wonderful tomato pepper rasam which has dispelled some of the sniffles and sneezes…heres a quick recipe for a wonderful cold soother –
Ingredients:


  • Lentils water - 1 cupCook (Lentils in pressure cooker reserve the water for this recipe)

  • Tomato - 1 big Ripe one

  • Garlic - 1 pod

  • Jeera - 1 tsp

  • Red chilli - 1

  • Pepper corns - 1 tsp

  • Curry leaves - few

  • Cilantro for garnishing and the added zing

Seasoning


  • Fenu greek seeds - 1 tsp (methi)

  • Red chilli -1

  • Ghee - 1/2 tsp (clarified butter, you can substitute with Vegetable Oil)


Method


  • Grind the tomato, jeera, peppercorns, curry leaves, garlic to fine paste (preferably with a mortar and pestle)

  • Dilute it in the Lentils water and adjust the consistency. Simmer

  • Heat the Ghee, add the seasoning (separately), then the simmering liquid

  • Add Salt to taste & Garnish with coriander leaves.

Heaven in a cup!How has your week been?

No comments:

Post a Comment