Monday, August 17, 2009

Land Before Time...


I was watching this animated movie about an orphaned baby dinosaur and his search for the elusive "Great Valley" and one thing that stuck was that in some way we are all searching for our Great Valley -- for some it is companionship, for some it is wealth, other's health...wisdom, adventures...laughter, contentment...the list goes on. As I sit watching K2 enjoy the small joys in life, I feel I have found my Great Valley...

This week has been a quiet one...mostly for running errands, closing out on some deliverables at work and how can I forget - K2's first week at preschool...he was a champ, not a tear...I think I sat in the parking lot for half a hour cloudy eyed, waiting for the call that K2 was in tears and asking for me. I made some wonderful south indian food that warmed my soul and reminded me of home and my mother - Hot Comforting Sambhar with Radish, Spicy but reviving tomato rasam, Potato Fry and an Egg Plant/Yogurt Relish...

I spoke to S my cousin sister who is FOB from Calcutta, she is sick and home sick...her travails remind me so much of mine the first week I landed in the US. My geeky brother left for work in the morning, and he forgot that there wasn't really any food in the fridge. I got up fuzzy after 35 hours of travel...found a carton of moldy chinese takeout...which I was smart enough not to eat...what was left was Milk, some instant coffee and a half packet of Pringles....so guess what my breakfast and lunch was --- yup! Coffee and Pringles...of course I didn't know how to operate the TV remote, so the TV was stuck on Jerry Springer, so you can imagine the mental scarring :-)

I soon discovered Chinese Take-out, Taco Bell and the hot dog stand by school and soon life was good...here's wishing she settles down and starts to enjoy life here in the US.

K1 is travelling today and back tomorrow. We have plans to take K2 to the Aquarium of the Bay on Saturday...

I am posting a picture of K2 when he was 18 months and Jinx our cockerspaniel was so totally protective of him...

No comments:

Post a Comment