Sunday, July 26, 2009

Life is like a bunch of Habanero Peppers...


The past two weeks have been at the same time hectic and slow...with a new project winding up and with the sense of anticipation that life as I knew it before May, will exist again...unsure of my reaction to it...we will see.
K1 took his parents to Las Vegas last week and I was the sole trooper on the home front, managing with K2...we had a blast. Farmer's market has been a firm fixture in my life the past two weeks - throwing my way a varied bounty of fresh fruits and vegetables - from juicy peaches to crisp Asian Pears to pretty blueberries --- and not to forget the perky tomatoes, plump opo squashes, complex sinquas, fresh chinese brocollis, the mystery lemon cucumbers and the oh-so-spicy Habanero chilli peppers...I had the person buying Okras next to me (well meaning person...) say you know those are Habaneros ...right...really really hot...
The Habaneros were a sight to behold - some green, some orange and others bright red....beautiful specimens...I used a red habanero in a pasta dish I was making and it was not killing hot, the next one I used in a Huevos Rancheros and it had me running to open the windows while the rest of the family was sneezing and coughing when the spice from the cooking hit them....the Huevos turned out deliciously spicy...umm no one else wanted to try it ...Reminds me of Forrest Gump's saying - Life is like a box of chocolates...in this case a bunch of Habaneros and you don't know how spicy they will be...I sure has fun trying to make spicy hot dishes with this new kitchen companion...next on the list is a peach salsa with habanero...
K2 has been not keeping well, what with a throat infection and fever the past couple days. We are feeding him hot soups and keeping him inside the house. I worry about him but I think falling sick is a part of growing up, so I am trying not to play the part of the paranoid mom. I am currently curled up next to a book called "Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper" by Fuchsia Dunlop...Don't Judge me please...I love spicy chinese food. I am vegetating today as I know I have a long work week to look forward to...

No comments:

Post a Comment