Monday, June 22, 2009

Seven Habits of highly effective People...


I was but 20 years old when I was handed my first copy of Covey. A who had given me the book had written - "The whole point about reading such a book is, if it doesn't come naturally, leave it".Initially the book was heavy reading but over time, I fell hook, line and sinker for Covey's principles... I have been able to go back to this book time and again and learn something new every time...

What do the 7 Habits mean to me -

1)Being Proactive - Personal choice drives a lot of your decision making -- so instead of blaming circumstances take control and responsibility for your actions and decisions
2)Visualization - Always visualize a roadmap to how your life should be and more likely than not you will try and stick to that roadmap (set personal goals and try to acheive them)
3) Integrity and Execution - It's ok to take help and delegate but integrity is key in every transaction.
4) Mutual Benefit - An attitude whereby mutually beneficial solutions are sought that satisfy the needs of oneself as well as others...it is ok to be a little selfish, but it is good to be a little selfless
5) Mutual Understanding - giving out advice before having empathetically understood a person and their situation will likely result in that advice being rejected. Thoroughly listening to another person's concerns instead of reading out your own autobiography is purported to increase the chance of establishing a working communication...people have busy lives, they don't want to hear about you...they want to talk about themselves
6) Creative Cooperation - when synergy is pursued as a habit, the result of the teamwork will exceed the sum of what each of the members could have achieved on their own. “The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. It is not about what I can acheive but rather about what the team can acheive...
7) Balanced Self-Renewal - engaging in carefully selected recreational activities. For me its Yoga, Cooking (eating) and spending time with K2.

It has been all but 2 decades of trying to internalize some of these principles into my day to day life...highly effective I am not...but I would like to think that I am on my path to getting there some day....Thanks Covey !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment