Monday, June 15, 2009

Nostalgia and a hot plate of pasta


Smells, Tastes and sometimes even textures give you the "warm & fuzzies" or the "shivers down the spine". I remember our trip to Kodaikanal every time I smell Eucalyptus...the foggy, drizzling weather and the warm, cheesy Pizza Margherita (Desi Ishtyle). Every time I see the cloth painting of the Old Man on my bedroom wall I remember the wonderful trip I took to Kalimpong with Ma and Pa. I have carried that painting with me for 14 years...there is something very gentle and wise about the old man...we had brought that painting from a ruddy faced Nepali woman. I still remember her sitting inside her tent, sipping a steaming, thick glass of chai. On rare occasions I fry Chilly Pakoras ,I remember our trip to Simla -- Dad eating chai, hot pakoras and jelabis from local hawkers...Nostalgia is such a wonderful thing..it makes me get all happy, remembering back on old memories vividly - smelling the smells, remembering the conversations, remembering the people...


The past couple days have been full of the good, bads and Uglies. Let me start with the Ugly first - my excruciating visit to the dentist. The bads - the pain that followed....the goods - hanging out with Meenakshi, Shreya & Rajesh over the weekend, the hot meal (did I say it was free!) at the temple on Sunday afternoon, the fresh greens and fruits from the Farmers Market (Chinese Brocolli, Chinese Spinach, Zucchini, Cherries, Heirloom Tomatoes, Cauliflower, Peaches and Plums) and of course the Hot and Satisfying bowl of Capellini I made (sauce was made with the Heirloom Tomatoes from the Farmers Market) with a side of simply sauteed garlic greens ( Mmmm...good!)


How was your weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment